Monday, June 30, 2014

My guitar bucket list and why I'm just going to build it myself

I'm GASing pretty hard right now, and these guitars are not making my struggle any easier. I stopped after 10 only because the total cost of every guitar on this list was slightly out of my price range.

I was going to delete it, but a friend suggested I share the list since it's ok to have dreams. I think he just wants to fuel his own GAS. 

So, in no particular order:

#1 Skervesen Swan
This beautiful work of art is also a guitar. 
Skervesen has some of the most amazing finishes I've ever seen.

#2 Parker Fly Mojo Midi
Ever since I got my first musician's friend catalog when I was 15, I've had a fascination with Parker. This particular model can do just about anything you could expect a guitar to do. Plus midi.

#3 Parker DMFV7

I told you, I'm fascinated. Updated design that looks just as awesome and carries the same spirit as the original. And finally, a Parker 7 string. If only we could get them to make a baritone...

#4 Blackat Leon
It's like a modernized tele with big, fat ass. These finishes are on par with Skervesen. 
6, 7, or 8 string, I don't even care. 

#5 Hufschmid single cut H6
Speaking of teles. The best word to describe Hufschmid's construction is solid. Just check out this neck joint test. This one will be tricky since he only builds 8 per year and is selective about who he builds them for.

#6 Music Man John Petrucci BFR 6
Sure, there are less expensive JP models out there, but this is my list. Why not go for one fit for the man himself?

#7 Etherial EXO-R7
Pretty sure this guitar is from outer space. In the future. Glows in the dark, too!

#8 Strandberg Boden 8
I've always wanted to try a headless guitar, but the only ones I ever saw growing up were the minimalist Steinbergers. While I'm sure they were awesome, they just seemed like they would sit weird. This guitar looks more balanced and comfortable. Plus multi-scale 8 string, so...

#9 Daemoness Cimmerian
These are just gorgeous guitars. 
Awesome finishes and some of the the best inlay work I've seen.


#10 Mayones Regius 7 Angel
This finish makes me can't.

Now on to why I've essentially given up on this list. All of these companies have great reputations and employ some of the best luthiers in the world and, as expected, this is reflected in the cost to commission a build. 

While I would spend every dollar I have in order to obtain these instruments, I would also like to pursue my dream of building my own guitars. And for a fraction of what I would spend on this list, I could easily finish putting my shop together and finally start my first build. 

I'm sure that over the years I will get my hands on at least a few of these masterpieces, but I feel it would be infinitely more rewarding for my guitars to appear on someone else's list.

No comments:

Post a Comment