Thursday, June 5, 2014

My name is Cam, and I believe in modifying guitars.

My name is Cam. 
I play guitar in the VA Beach Progressive metal band, Rhino Cerous.
I also like to work on, fix, and modify guitars. 

This interest started when I had to route the pickup cavities of my favorite guitar to accommodate EMG style pickups. I really didn't want to do this. It was just too scary. But it was an emergency. The original pickups were shot and we had a show the next day.

For those who have never done anything like this, if I had to compare the experience to anything, it would be my first tattoo. I didn't want to get one that I would regret and I was nervous about my choice, but I was determined to do it. I felt like it was the right decision. Even though it was painful as hell (on the calf where I had like, zero body fat), I survived the experience. And of course, I wanted more.

The major difference between these experiences, is that The guitar turned out exactly how I had planned. (pro tip: just because a tattoo artist has a great portfolio, doesn't mean it's his portfolio...also, I'm pretty sure he was on meth.) 

I've been into it ever since. I think once I realized that the guitar was my property, and that I could do whatever I wanted with it, it made it easier and even exciting to cut into it. Everytime I see a simple, traditional, or otherwise boring guitar, I see the potential in it. Like a slab of marble just waiting to be sculpted. 
I'm pretty positive that guy was on meth.

I've done a few more mods since then, and it turns out I have an increasing talent for it. It's like any project, really. You have to plan every step and make sure you have all the right tools and materials before you start. It also helps to be able to MacGuyver your way through unforeseen problems. If you make a mistake, a lot of the time you can just roll with it and adjust your plan to cover the flaw or make it look intentional.
Unless it's a bad tattoo. There's no coming back from that. I mean I could get it removed, but who has money for laser removal? I even went to another shop to see if someone could cover it up...they just laughed.

Photoshop is a huge help in the planning stage. It's probably the most important tool I use. You can make huge changes to the design without any real life consequences. Just hit "undo". 
It might actually be therapeutic to photoshop my tattoo out of all of my pictures.

Of course the best feeling comes from the finished product. Knowing that you've made something better with your own hands is extremely rewarding. Especially when it's a customer job. When someone genuinely appreciates the work you've done, it makes you forget all about that asshole who lied about his ability to draw an octopus fucking a bagpipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment